A Jack is a male donkey intact he can reproduce and thinks about this event over and over in his mind. A John has been gelded surgically altered, turned into a gelding in the horse world he is called a gelding, a male equine that has no interest in reproduction events at all. Working with Stallions (horses) and Jacks is no easy matter and should never be taken lightly by a novice donkey owner especially when Jennies (female) donkeys are nearby and in heat.
What Age Should My Baby Donkey or Horse Be Gelded?
Eight months is usually the best age, work with your vet for each individual plan. Avoid gelding when the weather is too hot or too cold. Again, I am not a Vet and I share information as I have read to help you make the best informative decisions to help your animals.
Important considerations before gelding your donkey:
1. Make sure you vet understands how to sedate the donkey
2. Make sure your vet understands how to tie the donkey off to avoid bleeding to death – This is rare with donkeys but sadly donkeys have died from complications in gelding, it is always best to have a plan and make sure your vet has coordinated with a vet who has done this medical procedure before attempting to geld the donkey. Donkeys can die from bleeding to death and donkeys can die from sedation. Be sure your VET understands donkeys and mules before surgery.
Copied from the Love Long Ears website:
Remember to also discuss with your vet about ligation (tying off) of the blood vessels while he/she has them in hand. This will reduce the risk of heavy bleeding and also reduce stress to animal, owner, and vet! Most vets don’t do this routinely, but it is a minor yet important step in surgery for donkeys.
Prevent problems before they become problematic by asking your vet to just ligate as a precaution. In these cases, it’s better safe than sorry. We stress that 99% of the time, most donkeys and mules have no problem recovering normally from castration, but you may have heard only the other 1%, which are all horror stories. (We at ADMS sympathise on a personal level – we have had one horror story and one perfectly normal castration on a mule). Select Love Long Ears to read the complete article.
GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged!