I do not enjoy writing about such things as equine (horse, donkey and mule) slaughter in America it is very sad to me that this is happening. ”Every five minutes the American equine is slaughtered for human consumption” this is just sad. This post does not have any graphic photos so please read and educate yourself as awareness creates change.
Here is an excellent article by Meredith Hodges from the Lucky Three Ranch. Select Help Stop Horse Slaughter In America to read more.
GET THE FACTS ABOUT HORSE SLAUGHTER AND HELP END IT. – Copied from Meredith Hodges link above Help Stop Horse Slaughter In America.
- Do not sell your horse at an auction where killer buyers may operate. Consider donating your horse to a rescue organization or retirement farm; donating, selling or leasing your horse to a therapeutic riding program; or selling the horse privately to an individual with proper references and a legally binding agreement that the horse will never be sold to slaughter. Humane euthanasia by a licensed veterinarian is preferable to cruel transport and slaughter.
- Stolen horses may frequently end up at the slaughterhouse. Please report any stolen horses to local and state authorities. Likewise, if you witness an abused or abandoned horse, please report the details to your local animal control authority for further investigation. Not only does such abuse and neglect require immediate attention for obvious welfare reasons, but these horses are also at risk of being sold into slaughter by uncaring owners.
- Help raise awareness on the issue of horse slaughter by writing letters to the editors of your local newspapers and any equine publications you read.
- Talk about the horrors of horse slaughter and the solution to this cruelty: passage of legislation banning horse slaughter.
- You can also help our campaign by distributing Animal Welfare Institute’s Horse Slaughter brochure to others; extra copies are available from AWI upon request.
This information is courtesy of the Animal Welfare Institute.
GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged!