Question & Answer
Melody, My donkey is obese how can I help my donkey lose weight.
Donkeys who are obese can have whats called insulin resistance making it harder to lose weight. People have insulin resistance too. Here on the Donkey Whisperer Farm ® we have one obese Donkey a rescue donkey named Tuba. Tuba is estimated to be in his late teens or early 20’s.
Tuba is obese but he is healthy. Taking the weight off him is a slow process. Tuba has perfect hooves. Tuba’s blood work is perfect. This is amazing as Usually when a donkey is obese the hooves rot off, white line separation and more. Controlling his diet is key.
My donkey has a thick fat neck that has broken over. Can I fix this? Once the neck fat breaks over the donkey is stuck with this for life.
Here is the good news. If your donkey has a fat neck that has broken you can still help him/her have a healthy diet and life. The donkey can recover in most cases and have a long beautiful healthy life. The donkey who is obese will gain weight much faster than the donkey who is not obese. Kinda like people.
Never starve a donkey. Losing weight and changing the body and blood chemistry takes hard work and time. You can do this! Your donkey is depending on you to learn everything you can to help him/her stay healthy.
How Can I Get My Obese Donkey Healthy?
1. A dry paddock or pasture is a must. Donkeys evolved from the desert they cannot eat all day and night without getting obese and eventually sick or death. Please understand donkeys die from obesity. It is a sad death.
2. Create pastures with gates to let the donkeys run and play and eat for limited amounts of time a few times a week.
3. Make sure your donkey is not getting fed by the neighbors etc., as this happened to us when we moved to our new farm.
4. Test your hay to ensure you have hay that has no weeds, alfalfa and is 10% or lower in sugar and protein. If you cant find low sugar/protein hay soak your hay to remove sugar. Soaking hay to remove sugars that can exacerbate metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance takes more time. If you’re using warm water, you’ll need to submerge the hay (again, a hay net makes this easy) for 30 minutes; if your water is cool or cold, soak the hay for 60 minutes.Feb 8, 2018
5. Weigh your hay if you do not know how to feel the amount.
6. Slow feeder helps the donkey eat slower and make sure you are giving at least two meals a day. If you want to give more you must be weighing your hay.
7. Do not feed people foods, breads, cookies, etc., fruit foods. Sugar is sugar.
8. Do not let your donkey eat brush, trees etc., all day and night. This can cause weight gain too. A dry paddock is a must. Toys and another donkey to play with are vital to your donkeys health.
9. Train your donkey to walk with you and take your donkeys for lots of walks and exercise.
10. Exercise is important for donkeys the same as humans. Donkey 101 & Donkey 102 will teach you how to get the foundation training in place to learn how to cart pull. Donkeys who pull a cart get great exercise. If you do not want to cart pull take your donkeys for hikes with you. Your donkeys can carry your lunch and water.
Donkey Whisperer Farm